Thursday, February 22, 2007

Movie Response - Bridge to Terabithia

I LOVE seeing movies after I've read the book. As I watch the movie, it feels like I have the inside scoop into the movie producer's mind. I feel as though I know the significance of the events, and the thoughts and feelings of the characters before they are actually revealed on the screen. I feel like I am solving a puzzle as the movie plays. For example, in the first scene of Bridge the camera shows a pickup truck and the farmhouse. Before the camera showed any characters, or events, I smiled thinking to myself, "That is Jess' father's pickup truck, the truck that Dad starts so early in the morning to go to work. Just like in the book, I wonder if the truck will wake up Jess this morning." I also like watching movies from books I've read because I feel like I have the right to judge the producers on their screenplay. As the movie continues, I immediately compare the movie events, and the characters to those in the book. A few weeks ago, I read Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks, then watched the movie. The last events in the movie were completely different than those in the book, and I remember pouting on the couch, "They can't change that. Those events didn't really happen in the book. What were they thinking- the events they changed create a completely different ending?!" In comparing the book Bridge to Terabithia to the movie, (and even judging the producers), I had many surprises in the theatre, but was pleased with the movie.

Foremost, I was surprised by the character choices of Jess and Leslie. Even though the Bridge book I purchased has a modern cover that shows the actor and actress who play Jess and Leslie, I myself did not picture these characters in the same way. I pictured Jess to be a smaller framed boy, shorter, and with dirty blonde hair. Likewise, I envisioned Leslie as a taller girl with light brown hair, dressed in less retro-style clothing. However, I grew to like the character choices throughout the movie, and thought the actor and actress fit their respective parts well.

I was also surprised by Jess Dad's character as well. As a reader, I don't remember he and Jess having a significant relationship in the book, but I found the camera focused on the father as a key cast member. From the book, I had the feeling that Jess' father was a working man, who devoted his time to his job, and running the farm on the weekends. Out of jealously, Jess always wondered why his father didn't give him the same attention as his sisters, even though he worked so hard completing his chores. However, in the movie, it seemed as though Dad was around the house more often. Of course May Belle was the apple of Dad's eye, and it was apparent that he treated Jess differently than the girls. However, throughout the movie, it was obvious that Dad's feelings towards Jess really affected Jess' actions. For example, Jess chose not to go to Terabithia one day because his father told him "get your head out of the clouds." I thought the development of the relationship was a nice touch for the screenplay, for I was able to relate to the relationship. My own father is a hard working man, and takes great pride in supporting his family. Growing up with four siblings, Dad's focus was studying, and sports. He hated when I chatted on the phone as a teenager, thinking it was a waste of time. In addition, I don't think he was ever a fan of me hanging out with my friends, either. The best way to get my father's attention and praise was to earn a perfect report card, or have an outstanding basketball game. Likewise, my father's priorities were very focused, and he thought my priorities should be just the same.

I was also surprised with Janice Avery's presence in the movie. Of course, I visualized a mental picture much like the bully she was depicted in the movie. I expected to see her rule the back seat of the bus, appear as the tall, tough, mean face, eighth grader that she was. (My personal favorite scene of the movie was "Free the Pee!" chant lead by May Belle and Leslie.) I expected to see her crying in the bathroom stall, and knew for sure that she would be stood up by Willard Hughes in the movie. However, I was surprised that her face was the face of the giant troll in Terabithia. I think this was a creative twist to the movie that added a powerful dimension about bullies. For children watching the movie, I think seeing the development of Janice as a bully, then Janice as a child with problems of her own, Leslie and Janice bond, then seeing Janice serve as a friendly giant troll would send a message to children about dealing with bullies.

I wasn't expecting to see the whimsical imagination of Terabithia as it was shown in the movie. In the first scene with the tree troll, I remember thinking the imagination was way over the top. Then, I began to realize the producers had to show the forest creatures in order to portray to the audience the imaginative word created by Jess and Leslie. In my mind, I wrestled with the imagination shown in the movie.... was it all necessary? Maybe I am just not a fan of flying creatures in movies, and overboard scenes of science fiction type cabable powers (fighting animals, flying children), and I just wanted Terabithia to be a happy and peaceful escape without fighting forest warriors. Perhaps I'm just a fan of fairytale imagination because I wished the imagination in the movie would have mimicked the last scene in the movie... when Jess and May Belle were greeted by the Terabithians when crossing the bridge. I loved that May Belle's crown turned to gold, as well as the bridge, and that all the creatures were there to greet her as the new princess. I thought the final scene of the movie was just perfect! I left the movie theater smiling knowing that May Belle would help Jess keep Terabithia alive.

5 comments:

windy said...

I was also surprised by the relationship between Jesse and his father. The book portrayed a much more strained relationship between Jesse and both parents. In the movie they showed more compassion for him from the get go. I was not prepared for the changes in the movie as they pertained to the time period and financial state of the family. I imagined it to be further back in time and I pictured them to live on a real farm. I really did like the movie better.

Amber Lacy said...

I wish I had your enthusiasm for watching movies on books I've read. I personally hate watching movies on books I've read. I guess hate is a strong word - I intensely dislike. I have always found that the producers are out to please a wider audience than the book was intended for and alter the storyline until it only resembles the book like a long lost cousin. I sit on my couch (I'm a movie renter - not a movie theatre girl), and cringe at all the changes - my beloved characters altered beyond recognition, the storyline changed to fit someone's personal agenda.

However, this was not the case with Bridge to Terabithia, because the producers stayed so true to the text. They altered the story (there was no Christmastime) in order to fit their time constraints, but that didn't bother me much.

Hillary said...

I also find it difficult to watch movies of books I've already read. I often feel bored-- I know what is going to happen or dislike how they alter the storyline. I had moments of boredom watching this movie.

I had not really considered how much more developed the relationship between Jess and his father was in the movie. But, you're right! Dad seemed like the main adult character in the movie, but I would have said Miss Edmunds was the main adult character in the book.

Amy Stewart said...

Wow! I didn't even notice that the face of the giant was Janice Avery's face. But, after I read your response it was like, of course that was her face. Thanks for pointing that out. I am also glad you talked about the relationship between Jess and his father. I too think that it was portrayed different in the movie than the book. I was glad that in the movie neither parent came across quite as distant or indifferent as they did in the book.

Unknown said...

I feel like movies never own up to books but that was a great movie.



P.S Its good to hear from you miss.K I onder if you remember mee