Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Missing May

Missing May
By: Cynthia Rylant
1993 Newberry Medal Award

WOW! I see why Rylant’s book was awarded the Newberry Medal. I was most impressed by Rylant’s craft in developing her characters; simply outstanding! As I read, I felt like I formed a relationship with each of them, internalizing the character’s feelings – pain, hope, loneliness. Foremost, I found myself feeling empathy toward Ob. My heart, too, felt empty as he desperately searched for communication with his one true love, May, who had passed on two seasons ago. Furthermore, I don’t think I’ve ever read a book in which I actually feel in love with a character who had already passed on. While reading Rylant’s description, my opinion of May was that of a heroine, believing just as Ob and Summer had that “May was the best person… she was a big barrel of nothing but love… she has faith in every single person she met.” Connecting with May really helped to hook me into the storyline, thus I began to miss May’s presence in the trailer and in the lives of Ob and Summer.

I also found myself siding with Summer…perhaps it had something to do with her being passed on as a “homework assignment” from relative to relative after her biological mother passed away, or fear of losing everything, or her sensitivity and continual concern for Ob. Cletus, my favorite character, entertained me throughout the book. His suitcase collection was quite a hoot! In addition, I appreciate his mature wisdom, “Life just ain’t that heavy.” “Ob’s got visions, Summer. Just like you, except you’re always fighting yours off.” I bet I would have been friends with Cletus, but then again, young or old, who couldn’t love his wit?! I can only imagine what honest advice he would pass along to me.

Because of her strong character development, I was able to make meaningful text to self connections throughout Rylant’s story. When I was in the 8th grade, my maternal my maternal Grandmother passed away. It was the first time I had ever faced death. When my family traveled to Pennsylvania for the funeral, I found my Grandfather grieving for his Anna. It broke my hear to see my Grandfather, a strong and wise old man, hurt so badly. I remember hugging my Grandfather and hearing him sob on my shoulder , wondering out loud why she left him. After the funeral, we returned home to Kentucky and Grandpa demanded he stay in his own house – a house he and his own wife built with their own hands. Isn’t that s the sweetest things?! Shortly after the funeral, I went back to visit my Grandfather, by myself. I distinctly remember sitting on “Grandma’s” lounge chair in the living room, watching a movie with Grandpa. I glanced up and saw a white figure move through the dining room, and instantly knew it was Grandma. I continued to feel her presence in the house – especially in the kitchen and dining room. I never told Grandpa, but I knew that he could feel her presence, too. Feeling Grandma’s spirit wasn’t an eerie feeling, but a positive feeling, telling me that she was okay, that she still loved me, that she thanked me for visiting her lonely husband. Would telling him helped him, or made him feel more lonely because he couldn’t talk or be with Grandma? Like Summer, I didn’t know how to deal with a grieving widower, but did not know that angels existed. Because of my personal connection, I was broken hearted and cried when Ob’s chance of communicating with his wife through the Bat Lady wasn’t successful. I also cried when Summer felt the memories of May rush over her when she saw the owl fly after their trip to the capital. However, I cheered when I visualized Ob turning his vehicle around to visit the WV capital, and cheered even louder when the whirligigs in May’s garden. Even though the ending felt abrupt, I was satisfied knowing Ob was in a better place.

I loved the book and highly recommend it for audiences 4th grade and above. Even if readers do not share a similar experience with Ob, Rylant’s craft is still enjoyable. Her words pull at your heartstrings with her lovable characters as it loudly portrays a theme of appreciation for a loved one who has passed on.

3 comments:

P.A. Collet said...

Your description of your Grandmother's presense in the room where you were watching television gave me the willies. I can imagine you sitting in her chair watching the real television screen, and the other "screen" playing in your mind. I hope that your Grandfather is alive and well.

Hillary said...

I was also impressed with Rylant's craft that allowed me to know the characters so well. Cletus really was wise beyond his years.

Suzanne said...

There is no doubt that Rylant a skilled writer. I too found the ending to be abrupt. I wanted to know what changed for Ob and never felt like we got that resolution.
Also, I wanted to know a bit more about Cletus. This was not one of my favorite reads. I lost a friend and two of my friend's lost mother's over the past several weeks....so maybe it is just the timing of the book in relationship to my life. It is hard to read a book about death when you begin to look at your own mortality.